Membership in the Fairfax Genealogical Society is open to any individual or organization that subscribes to the Society's purposes (described under governance). The official membership year runs from July 1 to June 30. Individuals may join at any time, however, and we encourage candidates to begin the process as soon as is convenient. Our membership chair will process your application and get you into the system so that you may start reaping the benefits of membership right away.
How to Join
To become a member, you can either signup online and pay with PayPal or you may download and complete a Membership Application. In order to use our online form, please see our video located on the Online Membership Info page before using our online form for the first time. In order to pay by check, please return the downloaded form with your Membership dues according to the instructions and mail it to our post office box in Merrifield, Va. Questions regarding membership can be sent to VP for Membership Jim Link at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Invitation to all Society programs, including SIG events, field trips, and other special events.
- Subscription to the Fairfax Genealogical Society Newsletter, including access to archived issues.
- Access to the Society's Members Only Website.
- Participation in the Surname Exchange List.
- Inclusion on the Society's Membership Email List.
- Access to the Society's recording library of past programs and conferences.
- Discount on registration to the Society's Annual Spring Conference.
- 20% discount on Society publications.
- 40% discount on the Federation of Genealogical Societies' quarterly FORUM Magazine.
Membership Categories and Dues
The society's membership categories are as follows (also see Article III in FxGS Bylaws)
- Individual Membership ($22.00)
- Household Membership ($27.00)
- Organization Membership ($22.00)
- Lifetime Membership ($400)
- Honorary Lifetime Membership is presented for exceptional service to the Society or to the theory and/or practice of genealogy by the Executive Board.
We regularly distinguish those members making a significant contribution to the Society through citations, certificates of appreciation, and recognition at our meetings.